Sunday, January 13, 2008

personal SDL project: decisions, decisions...

Perhaps one of the most difficult parts of undertaking a self-directed learning project is deciding what to learn. There are so many things out there, and it's difficult to decide! I think part of my problem stems from the fact that I'm undertaking a learning project for the sake of learning, rather than out of another necessity. It's true that necessity is the mother of invention, but I think it gives birth to learning as well. People learn things when they have a need for it.

Because of this particular situation, I've found that I have some different priorities than other self-directed learners might. My list of personal requirements for this little venture includes the following:
  • Fun - a big must. I don't want something that's professionally useful, or will help me in school (although you could argue that almost anything, and the plain fact that I'm learning will benefit me). I want something cool and interesting.
  • Hands-on - I like to make stuff. I want to have something to show for what I've been doing.
  • Something I can learn on my own - it occurs to me that there may be things out there that are very difficult if not impossible to learn on one's own. This is a question I plan to grapple with a bit more.
  • Something I can afford - sure, wouldn't we all like to learn how to cut diamonds? With any learning project there are practical considerations like this.
  • Something I can fit into my schedule - many leisure learners find themselves up against this one. Too often an excuse for not pursuing an interest is "I just don't have the time". There's an argument too, that if you want to do something bad enough, you'll make the time.
So that brings up the next question: what do I learn? There are lots of things that I am continuing to learn, but there are also things I haven't gotten started on yet. Here are some of those:
  • Origami - hands on, cheap and produces something. It seems to fulfill my requirements.
  • Calligraphy - something I've been interested in for a while. Supplies could get expensive though.
  • Typography - also something I've had a passing interest in, and possibly one that could include elements of calligraphy in it. I've always been interested in letter forms, ever since I was little (even though I didn't know what typography was!). Also seems appropriate considering I spent my days surrounded by printed text.
  • Penmanship - I have bad handwriting. Just today, I was told "for a girl, you have pretty atrocious handwriting". Ouch. But true. I prefer to think of it as a sign of creativity. I do enjoy the physical act of writing though, so this one is worth considering.
  • Bass - I love music, and I've been interested in learning bass for a while now. The problems with that include time commitment and the logistics of getting an instrument (not to mention the auditory sanity of my house-mates!).
  • Woodworking - I want to build furniture. Cool furniture. Definite problems with this one include not really being able to learn it by myself, getting access to materials and facilities, and time constraints.
The truth is, I'll have to make a decision, and make one fairly soon. I'm going to go sleep on it.

Coming soon (tomorrow): A response to the ideas of Philip Candy, and digging out my copy of Ronald Gross' Peak Learning.

No comments: