Monday, January 21, 2008

personal SDL project: thoughts and cool websites

Embarking on a personal learning project while you're in the midst of a largely self-directed master's degree certainly is interesting. Learning for fun becomes a bit like reading for fun - you wonder if you really have the time, and you feel a bit guilty about it.

I also wonder about the authenticity of my learning process. As an educator and someone who has intentionally started to learn something for the sake of learning about learning, I wonder if my experience will be genuine. Already I know I'm not going about this like most people would. On the other hand, autodidaxy is by nature a very personal process, and everyone will go about it differently.

At any rate, I've decided the first place to start is to start finding learning resources. For the kind of casual learning I want to undertake, blogs are a nice answer - they're regularly updated, they provide a sense of community, and provide links to other resources. It seems that the field of typography is alive and very well on the internet, and there are a number of sites out there for people who want to learn more. I have added the I Love Typography blog to my bookmarks, and intend to check that one regularly. There are udpates and links to sites all over the web, and there are even straight up informational and historical articles as well. I think one of the best things about this so far is rediscovering my love of typeface. I love fonts, and I could look at them and play with them all day long.

1 comment:

Richard Schwier said...

I love typography too. I've got an email out to a friend/colleague who is immersed in visual design stuff -- and also typography. Elizabeth Boling started out as a fine arts person, then worked as a project manager with Apple for a few years before moving into the Academy. She's the chair of the IST Department at Indiana University, and I'm hoping she will have a moment to send some recommendations for you to read.

I also have a couple of books on text -- instructional text -- that you might find interesting or useful. If I don't see you soon, drop by and I'll give them to you.

In the meantime, I really like the idea, so dig away!