Tuesday, January 15, 2008

personal SDL project: typography

Well, in the interests of time, I've made a decision for my personal SDL project. I'm going to learn about typography. Why? A lot of reasons, really. These days I find myself surrounded, nay, saturated with the written word. I spend my days reading and writing (no 'rithmetic for me!). It seems interesting to find out some of the mechanics behind actually creating letter forms. I'm a font nerd. I've spent hours agonizing over what typeface to use for term papers. Even when I was a little kid, I loved to copy logos and letters from bands and TV shows and products (darn, I bet you thought I was normal, didn't you?). I love books, and book design, and really enjoy seeing endnotes about typeface.

Other advantages to this project? There seems to be lots of information out there. There are books and websites and magazines. It's something I can work on, put down (hopefully), and come back to. I can also make stuff with this project: text-based artwork, drawings, sculpture - heck, maybe I can shoot for designing an ECMM 805 font! It's something that can be done manually, by hand, or on a computer. I think this will be good.

So what's the first thing most people do when they want to know something these days?

Look it up on wikipedia.

Now I need a new notebook/sketchbook for this venture. yay!

1 comment:

Kirk Kezema said...

Jaymie,
I am excited to see what comes of of researching fonts. I am sure there is a great deal of history behind font creation. A font for ECMM would be impressive.

Take care,
Kirk